Lips thin as we age for the same reason that our skin begins to sag – lost collagen and hyaluronic acid (HA), which give lips their plumpness, moisture and overall youthful appearance. Strategically placed fillers can restore hydration, bring back your pout, and even create a fuller lips where they never existed.
If you’re considering lip fillers or have recently undergone treatment, then you need to understand – and practice – correct lip filler aftercare. This minimally invasive procedure takes just minutes, but you need to observe some aftercare tips to avoid increased swelling, infections and other issues.
Lip Filler Aftercare Tips
- After your injections, apply ice using an ice pack or ice cube covered in cloth to ease swelling, itching, bruising and any pain you’re feeling.
- Avoid hard exercise for 24 to 48 hours. Light activity like walking is fine, but a hard workout can make swelling and bruising worse.
- Stay hydrated! Drink plenty of water and eat hydrating fruits and vegetables to help your body heal.
- Avoid excess sodium, which can make swelling worse.
- Avoid high temperatures like steam rooms, saunas or heated workouts for at least 48 hours.
- Our team will consult with you on which painkillers you’re cleared to take in the days after your treatment, but avoid blood-thinning medications like ibuprofen.
- If you’re getting lip fillers for a specific event, make sure you’ve allocated enough time for a full recovery.
- Try to sleep with your head elevated on pillows for a few days to reduce swelling, and try not to sleep on your face.
- Avoid putting makeup on your lips for at least 24 hours.
Other Things to Avoid After Lip Fillers
- Smoking of any kind, which can increase your risk of infection.
- Alcohol for at least 24 hours, as it can exacerbate bruising and swelling.
- Flying for at least a week, as the air pressure can also increase bruising and swelling.
Correcting lost lip volume and natural thinness is now easier and more effective than ever thanks to dermal fillers!
Schedule a consultation with New England Skin Center today and let one of our skilled medical providers provide you with a personalized treatment and aftercare plan that will optimize your results.
* Individual results may vary; not a guarantee.